TRIP ADVISOR

Thursday, April 05, 2007

My first DATE with Accenture..

My first DATE with Accenture..

Sometime in March. (I think on International Women’s day) Right! Yes. I went to Dindivanam for a health Camp. That’s the time when I got the acquaintance of the marketing people of Apollo Groups of Hospital. During the course of my conversation with Mahendiran, I told him that I live near Neelangarai. So he immediately offered me to take up this part time consultation at ACCENTURE, (BPO and IDC).

There were long protocols, resubmission of resume and finally the verdict that my timings were acceptable by the company. So now its fixed as 7PM-9PM on Mondays and Wednesdays. I left the hospital (Apollo Cancer Hospital) at about 6PM and drove towards the IT corridor. As I was driving, my mind was engrossed in various thoughts. Well… should I really need to take up this consultation? Won’t it be very tiring? Is it worth it? And then I thought… Let me give a try…..

And I lost the road and was driving towards Mahabalipuram. I stopped in front of Infosys and then back the same road to Accenture. I parked my vehicle in front of the BPO company.. Little hesitant.. ..Whether to go inside or not.. Young men and women wearing their collar ids walked past me. There were white colored cabs whining in and out with great speed.( these cabs are a great threat to the Chennai traffic). Tired faces!. Some smoking (ladies included) and sharing their cigarettes..

I ignited my car and headed towards the in gate. A security guard stopped my car, a thorough search, checked my hospital id and then allowed me into the parking lot. Here again another security checked my id card and took me to the reception. And for the third time I had to part with my id card. The security officer gave me some papers to sign. As I started to read it, he said its just the usual one (what usual??). But what was written in those documents was that I was given permission to access their systems.(for what???). By this time the nurse came to take me. I was asked to sit in front of a small camera ( is it a webcam??) and a picture..??? to fix up my Id for Accenture.(How I wished I had done my face. Looking so tired and haggard right from my work)

As I walked in through the corridor I was stunned. Cool, well lit long verandahs, with carpets, indoor plants… young ladies and men sitting infront of the computers… in total silence.. I pinched myself.. am I in a foreign country? (so we could also maintain such standards????).Amazing! Coffee machines, smoking area.. …Ladies smoking there??? I walked into the clinic. It is one of the best maintained occupational clinics with all the basic essentials. The walls were fixed with posters. They were all about healthy sitting, exercise for busy hands, one minute work out for the body, and a vision step for the tired eyes. There were some employees waiting for me.(there were no doctor’s visits for nearly a month)..They all seem to have the same problem like neck and back pain, dimness of vision and burning of the eyes.

I left the place at 9PM. I wasn’t very happy… their pain in the neck and back.. Occupational hazard!!! .. a deadly peril that’s going to affect our younger generation? Change of timings.. shift.. How well will their body clock get used to the change of timings in sleep and eating???... They just come there to earn….??? Do they think it as a career?

Where is our younger generation heading to???

10 comments:

Priya said...

This is very true and prevalent in most of the companies here. More than a employee, its the organisation's stand on employees staying for late hours which is important. There is a company in mumbai which shuts off his power and other facilities by 05:30 PM on a weekday every week forcing their employees to leave early and spend time with their families. Organisation's mandate on these issues will show some results as people adhere to mandates more ...

தருமி said...

everything in life comes with a price-tag.

Jennifer said...

Hi Athai,
Very happy to hear that you took up this consultation with Accenture. Since its a BPO you will see a different kind of an atmosphere. But the sad part is Yea what you feel about these younger generations in BPO is correct. SInce am in bangalore, There are tons of BPO's there and its really sad and bad to see those young people just come in and work just for the sake of money and nothing else, wasting time. even sons and daughters of rich people who have nothing to do come and join BPO just for the heck of spending time and earning pocket money's. There are some sincere people who come to work bcos they got the job with great difficulty but then they also get spoilt looking at the atmosphere. Yes and dnt get surprised by women smoking cos its nothing, its just a small issue there are other thinsg that you will soon learn from a BPO. in simple words BPO is nothing but BAd shifts, Bad company, Bad culture, Bad atmosphere, BAd future, Bad relationships , Bad Place to survive ever. I feel sad every day that i work in one such place.

Ponniyinselvan said...

dear doctor,
i too share your concern.long back in 2002 i went to karthik's company and may be the amazement you felt over took me for few minutes.but as you say the underlying imminent danger is what horrified me.what will be the scenario after 20 years.may be they are well paid according to Indian standard.but , reading the news about CITY FINANCE firing out 23000 employees in US and hiring 9500 only in India and saving 15000 crores ,has to be pondered seriously.how can 9500 men do the work done by 23000 and getting not even one third of what they got.my honest wish is that our govt should intervene and fix the pay and work time.our youth are not willing to waste theirhealth by over working but unemployment drives them to undertake any hard work with least pay.

குட்டிபிசாசு said...

dear delphine maam,

this sort of occupational hazards are common in all companies and industries. do you have any experiences with occupational hazards in chemical industries?

thank you.

PPattian said...

Read your blog. Some articles are useful and some thought provoking. Also read about your husband and felt sorry.But happy see you have bounced back and contributing.

Yes, the work-time and stress is slowly killing the next generation. I know of people who work in odd shifts in office and still also work from home out of compulsion in the remaining time. For them proper sleep is nothing.

Prabhakar said...

Doctor, The government must intervene.

umakumar said...

maam,
is there a way out,i dont see any?

woman smoking too is new to our city

Anonymous said...

Nice write up. But hang on, people chose this profession to earn a living. Tell me which other economy offers so much job oppurtunities. OH is part and parcel of any job. You have been hired to fix it for them. If they are not sitting in the right posture, tell them the right way, if they are too close to the screen, help them out. So lets not sympathize with the young generation.. they really know that they are doing.

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any
interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made
good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.