TRIP ADVISOR

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

another day at old age home....

Sad, but true... I am a sentimental fool or idiot or whatever it be.....
So again I visited the senior citizens home last week. This visit had been haunting me all these days. This time Mr. Ramu aged about 91 years was sick. As usual I visited all the inmates. There were two couples who had joined recently. We wanted to shift Mr.Ramu to the hospital. But there was a problem. The son felt that the father would rather die at the old age home than in the hospital. I met the son and daughter-in-law. He was only abusing his father. He went on telling me that his father was a smoker and was hard of hearing and so he preferred that his father stayed in an old age home. Mr. Ramu is semi conscious. All that he needed was some liquids on and off. They had appointed one nurse to take care of him. She is a real darling . Calling him all the time as 'appa', she was trying to make him drink liquids as much as possible. She kept the place very neat. I wonder ... The son could have kept the father at home and this girl can take care of the old man. ...
In another couple's room there were so many pictures of their grand children. phoooh.. There were so many posters telling their grandparents how much they miss them and things like that. For another citizen who had retired as a principal of a famous college in Chennai, she missed all her students who used to visit her while she was at Chennai. She told me that in this computer age no one wants to write letters, but preferred to send e-mails only. She said she was looking for a laptop at a cheap price.
I definitely left with a very burdened heart. I told you I am a sentimental idiot..
(Read my previous article posted on 28-2-1006. Do we need senir citizens home?)

No comments: